Monday 8 August 2016

Slow cooker Mongolian Beef Stew with Coconut rice

This recipe is one I originally found online, but adapted it more to my liking. Since I totally love Asian stews, I had to give it a go. 

The best thing about it all is that it is made in a slow cooker and there is a whole variety of dishes that you can make without much effort. Perfect when you have guests around, as you can make it ahead of time and then spend more time with the guests being the perfect host instead of slaving in the kitchen.  This dish will get you lot’s of praise as it comes out perfect and is an absolutely scrumptious meal, for any day really.

Ingredients to serve 4:
2½ lbs of flank or stewing steak
¼ cup of cornflower
1½ tbs garlic minced
1½ tbs chili flakes
1½ tbs fresh ginger grated
¾ cup of light brown muscovado sugar
2 tbs Olive oil
¾ cup of water
¾ cup of soy sauce (I used the dark one)
1 cup grated carrots
2 spring onions
2-3 tbs toasted sesame seeds
1 red chili (if desired)
1 can coconut milk
1 cup basmati rice
**********************************

This is actually very simple dish to do but just needs a bit of prepping.  
Firstly turn your slow cooker on high. I usually turn mine on 15 minutes before placing anything inside, this will heat it up nicely all over and the ingredients will release their flavours better.

You can use stewing steak from the shop or I went to my local butcher and go it there, the reason being is that I render the fat off myself and if you have enough time and are willing to do it then you can haggle the price down, I also always like to have a chat with my fabulous butcher.

The beef needs to be cut into thin 1cm strips, once this is done place all the meat into a zip lock bag, add the corn flour, then close it and make sure that all strips are evenly coated. Give it a bit of a shake and set aside while preparing the slow cooker.

Ok, so let’s build the flavours in the slow cooker, start with the minced garlic, chili flakes, sugar and grated ginger. Then add the Olive oil, water and soy sauce.

Mix it all up so the sugar can dissolve a bit, add the beef, cover and leave it on high for 2 hours.

I usually set the timer to an hour at a time and like to give it a bit of a stir. The sugar and corn flour will thicken the liquids in the pot and you don’t want it to thicken too much.

After about 2 hours add the grated carrots and stir them in, cover again and give it another 30 minutes.


So all that is left to do is the coconut rice, I know people cook their rice different and sometimes add 1:2 ratio for rice, this is never working for me so I use 1:1½ ratio. 

I make sure I have all the ingredients ready and heat up a pot a bit with just a tiny drop of oil. Add the rice and give it a stir, this is to distribute the tiny amount of oil, then add the can of coconut milk and whatever is left needed ad in water to the pan. Bring to the boil and then turn the heat right down and give it about 15 minutes cooking time, once the 15 minutes are over let the rice rest for a further 5 minutes.

In that time lightly toast the sesame seeds and cut the spring onions in diagonal fine strips. If you like it hot you can also cut the chili finely and add as decoration with a kick. The black sesame seeds don’t need to be toasted, just mix the light and black one together.

Well this is it and you should be having an amazing meal in from of you. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment